Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Sixty Years Ago, Tomorrow

Tomorrow marks the sixtieth anniversary of one of the most traumatic single events this country has ever experienced: the assassination of President John Fitzgerald Kennedy in Dallas, Texas by Lee Harvey Oswald.  The President was visiting Texas, riding in a motorcade in an open car with his wife Jackie and Texas governor John Connally when Oswald shot him twice with his rifle from the sixth floor of the Texas Schoolbook Depository building.  I was just a kid of seven in the second grade of my West Hollywood, Florida elementary school when we heard the news of the shooting just after lunch on Friday.  Numerous conspiracy theories sprang up in the ensuing years, but like Stephen King, who authored the fantastic 2011 time-travel novel 11/22/63, I always felt that Oswald was the lone wolf behind the assassination.  As I mentioned in an earlier article, my family and I visited Dallas in 1994 and retraced the motorcade route...I wonder how many others have done the same.  I am praying that in this upcoming tumultuous presidential campaign of 2024, all the candidates are safe and more tragic bloodshed is avoided... 

No comments:

Post a Comment