Monday, September 4, 2023

Enjoying Watching the US Open in Tennis

I've been watching the US Open tennis tournament this week.  Tonight, they're playing through the singles quarterfinals as some familiar faces are advancing while others have gone down to unexpected defeat.  I enjoy the familiar faces, some of whom have suffered banishment from Grand Slam events in recent times for their governments' belligerent actions and another...namely Novak Djokovic...blocked from the Australian and US Opens because of his refusal to take a Covid-19 vaccine.  Fortunately...at least as far as I am concerned...they're all back in action, providing some really good tennis.  ESPN2 has been showing the US Open, which takes place late summer each year in New York City.  My main objection to watching it isn't with any of the players, but rather with the often brash and unruly attendees in the stadiums.  The other night there was a near-stampede as Djokovic had reached his match point and a mass of spectators rushed downstairs to get a better look: insane!  Of late I've veered away from viewing team sports like football, baseball, soccer and basketball and now enjoy individual sports like golf and tennis.  Who do I think is going to win this year's US Open titles? Sabalenka on the women's side and either Medvedev or Djokovic on the men's...  

No comments:

Post a Comment