Monday, August 7, 2023

Podcaster Has Good Advice on Developing Good Habits and Skills

Last week in one of his Mindset Mentor podcasts, personal development coach Rob Dial touched upon a topic that he's covered in the past, and one that I've come to strongly believe in.  The importance of consistency in small things...establishing little by little the habits I want to develop in order to improve my life cannot be understated.  Dial suggests something he calls the "30-30" rule: take the next thirty days and focus on one specific habit to instill, devoting a pre-set thirty-minute block of time to it.  And then thirty days later, pick another desired habit to work on the next thirty days.  He doesn't recommend me loading my schedule up with multiple thirty-minute blocks...no...one habit at a time.  Dial says to select ONE specific skill or habit to work on and determine the resources I need to obtain in order to successfully pursue it.  I get his focus to avoid overloading the mind, but I already have a pretty elaborate routine of short daily activities in a multitude of areas...this doesn't mean that I will abandon working on them to just do one thing.  But yes, identifying one NEW area to work on improving and picking up good habits with it...the "new thing of the month" so to speak, makes a lot of sense.  Rob Dial also emphasizes keeping daily records of my level of progress, helping both to direct my focus better and to hold me more accountable to myself: I already do this.  He adds to this the importance of not being perfect all the time in what I do, but rather to "show up" whether I'm having a good or bad day.  Yeah, this particular podcast resonated with me.  As for podcasts in general, I consistently keep up with two programs, Dial's and Steve Kaufmann's.  Kaufmann is the polyglot who has a lot of sound, practical advice about language learning, and whose learning site LingQ I've subscribed to and faithfully study on a daily basis.  What podcasts do you like to regularly follow?

No comments:

Post a Comment