Sunday, August 6, 2023

Enjoying Watching Golf on TV

During the last four days one of my "activities" has been to watch television coverage of different golf tournaments taking place at the time.  There were three: the Women's Scottish Open, usually presented live in the morning (my time), the Wyndham Championship Men's tourney from Greensboro, North Carolina, and finally the Utah Championship in the Korn Ferry tournament (professional golf's version of a minor league).  In all three I enjoyed how the different golfers tackled the holes with their strategies and felt a kind of peace watching the game that I don't experience watching team sports or even individual contests like tennis.  Like I've written before, I have never played actual golf...only the miniature variety.  One thing about golf: the best players seem to need a lot of careful instruction and nurturing from childhood, and this doesn't come cheap.  I'd like to try my hand at the game, but I don't think that at my age (66) with a recent history of back muscle spasms, I'd get very far: better to stick with the miniature circuit!  But this doesn't prevent me from enjoying watching others play golf.  Not only do I like seeing the same players from week to week, but I dig the different locales and the surrounding scenery.  During the recent (British) Open held just south of Liverpool that Georgian Brian Palmer won going away, the course design couldn't have looked more different than what the golfers went through this weekend in North Carolina.  Next week the PGA will hold its annual FedEx Cup Championship, this year at TPC Southwind in Memphis, Tennessee.  The bigger names in the men's sport have been noticeably absent from today's action, but I'm sure they'll all be there for the "big" one...

No comments:

Post a Comment