Sunday, July 2, 2023
Sad About Loss of Late-Night Business in Gainesville
My work shift ends at 10 PM, and sometimes I like to chill out a bit at a coffee shop before heading on home. Unfortunately, my hometown of Gainesville, Florida has, ever since COVID-19 hit us in 2020, become one of those places that roll up the sidewalks in mid-evening, with very few late-night spots left open. I used to frequent a couple of Starbucks on the southwest, UF student-intense part of town that is close to my workplace. Now they're closed by the time I get off from work, although rumor has it that the Target store on Archer Road has a Starbucks in it that still stays open late...I'll have to check it out. Gainesville used to be known as an all-night kind of city, especially with its tens of thousands of University of Florida students as well as a sizeable Santa Fe College population. When I was a student at UF in the late 1970's I spent many late hours studying at the 24-hour Krystal on University across from the library. Except for Waffle House, though, in the northern part of Gainesville where I live everyone closes up shop far earlier than before. There used to be a 24-hour district just north of Gainesville High School on NW 13th Street (US 441) that had all-night restaurants, a pharmacy, a doughnut shop and a couple of grocers...none of the places there now stay open late except convenience stores. It's a shame, because that's one of the things I liked living here. I'm not greedy about places staying open late: just give me to 11 o'clock and I'm out of there! Shoot, before COVID I could slip over to a Publix on Archer right near where I worked and replenish groceries, but no longer. Now, not even the WalMart where I live, formerly 24 hours, stays open past 11...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment