Saturday, April 29, 2023

Ran Gainesville Depot Parkrun 5K This Morning

Amid forecasts of really stormy weather later on in the day, I awoke this morning anticipating some early rain...but no, it was like last week: partly cloudy, 69 degrees with 97 % humidity...warm and muggy.  I headed down to Gainesville's Depot Park, some eight blocks south of University Avenue just east of Main Street.  It's a pretty place to stroll, jog, walk your dogs or bring your little kids to play.  On Saturday mornings they hold a free 5K run/walk, managed through volunteers with finishing times accomplished through barcodes (signup is online) and posted each week on their website.  Today's race was my fourteenth there since my first Parkrun in 2019...my goal this time around was to establish as comfortable a pace as possible considering the stifling humidity.  To that extent it worked, as I got into a groove and ran negative splits (faster at the end than the beginning), finishing at 33:34, good enough for me today. Unfortunately, at the finishing line there was major confusion about the scan-tokens they were handing out and this translated to the posted results.  You can see today's Parkrun results by clicking HERE...looks like their tokens and scanning screwup wrecked their results page (including my own finishing time which I'm glad I recorded on my watch).  [Later note: they did eventually get around to recording and posting most entrants' times although the process was a bit slipshod, in my opinion] Now that I've racked up a number of runs here, it's probably time I began to sign up for some of the many volunteer opportunities they offer...especially with that confusion at the finishing line this morning with their barcode tokens, an area in which I think I'd be an asset.  It was good to see more people out there participating in the race, with several first-timers. In any event, mission accomplished: I dragged my sorry old ass out of bed early today and ran the race...now let's see what happens with those storms blowing in from the Gulf of Mexico...

No comments:

Post a Comment