With the temperatures predictably warming up this time of the year as we head toward summer in typically hot and humid northern Florida where I live, I find myself doing a lot of my running training indoors, plodding along to the images of marathons others have run on YouTube, shown on my wide screen TV via Roku. Yesterday I "ran" the very recent (and very rainy) London Marathon with my virtual Chinese friend, who also made a video of his (very fast) New York City Marathon a few years ago...加油! The day before, I was in Paris running their city-wide distance event...virtual rocks! But I also miss getting out on the open road, and to this effect I think next month I'll be doing what I call "reverse-Galloway" training. Jeff Galloway, a successful marathon runner in his own right, came up with a plan for people to train up to that distance by running a few minutes and then intermittently taking short walking breaks...this helps with the repetitive motion as well as conserving energy and allowing the body to better cool itself. I used his method back in 2010 to build up my endurance and know it works. This time around, as the temperatures keep increasing outside, I'd like to go out on long walks...with short intermittent running breaks. I already know my courses...they're the same ones I traveled down in the past. Mixing this activity up with the virtual TV running, while paying regular visits to my local gym to use their treadmill and cross-trainer, is my training plan for the next few months. Oh, and run an occasional Depot Parkrun 5K. Speaking of that wonderful free weekly, Saturday morning event held here in Gainesville, in April I ran it twice, on the 22nd and 29th. I did goof up, missing the Hawthorne-based half-marathon that took place on the 8th...but that's all right: better luck next time! I hope you're doing well with your health and fitness. Running isn't in the cards for everyone, but there are plenty of other kinds of physical activities that you may find to your liking...I think walking is pretty awesome, too, and also enjoy just kicking around a couple of soccer balls with my dog in the backyard...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment