Struggling and suffering are the essence of a life worth living. If you're not pushing yourself beyond the comfort zone, if you're not demanding more from yourself...expanding and learning as you go...you're choosing a numb existence. You're denying yourself an extraordinary trip. ---Dean Karnazes
I've read criticisms about ultra-distance runner Dean Karnazes such as he's not even one of the Top Ten ultramarathon racers and he's just good at marketing himself. To me that's like saying that the Beatles, none of whom had formal musical training or could read music, were "just good at marketing". While I always defer to the elite in any sport, including distance running, it was Dean Karnazes with his book Ultramarathon Man who renewed my interest in this activity, not the fast finishers...and Karnazes has repeatedly emphasized that he's not among those elite. But he is an elite at popularizing the sport and encouraging others, although I have to admit that I don't exactly appreciate someone standing there on the sidelines near the finish of a long race yelling at me to "Push it!"...there's such a thing as too much encouragement, too! Regarding the above quote, which I believe is an excerpt from that first book of his, I wholeheartedly agree with it...although I don't think it necessarily means that all of us are suited for ultra-distance running...or running at all for that matter. I knew a kid in high school who was like Karnazes in that he was always taking the "extreme effort" and "no gain without pain" position about running, often yelling at others to try harder...I liked his enthusiasm, but I think he crossed the line at the same time with his sometimes-unsolicited exhortations. It's also possible to take one single endeavor and make it into a kind of idol while neglecting other important areas of one's life...Dean's quote has its greatest use when applied across the board to all areas of our lives, not just one. And one other thing: I don't think it's profitable to seek out struggling and suffering for their own sake...but if you're engaged in something worthwhile and those feelings arise, then the above quote makes a lot of sense...
No comments:
Post a Comment