Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Podcaster Expands Notion of Personal Development

Rob Dial, a podcaster with his Mindset Mentor show, talks a lot about personal development.  Some of his episodes resonate with me and some are just a little off...every now and then he gets some profound wisdom in, like what he said last week.  Dial promotes a lot of personal growth ideas like being proactive, stressing action over feelings, journaling, meditation and the like.  But on a recent podcast he pointed out that a lot of folks misunderstand what personal development is.  You don't just set aside special times for it, but rather it encompasses your entire waking day, and it's often the troublesome, stressful and unexpected events and conflicts that arise that can provide the greatest opportunities for growth...if you can learn how to react to them and then proceed onward.  That's encouraging, because sometimes it seems that the moment I step outside my door and into the big, bad world, the crap begins to fly...to put it a little crudely.  For a lot of us, our jobs consist largely of what I call "chaos management", which is meeting the various challenges that hit us from different directions while somehow still adhering to our core assignments...and while keeping ourselves from succumbing to anxiety and frustration.  Yes, this is often where the growth is, although I also see the advantages to stepping around trouble when I see it coming my way, and to think ahead enough to avoid it completely. But sometimes it comes anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment