Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Some Stuff about Facebook

First of all, before I go further, I deeply appreciate you readers of this blog, all of you.  Chances are very strong that you access it from Facebook, where I post my (usually) daily entries.  But I have to admit that I'm not very enamored with Mark Zuckerberg's social media site, since it is largely there for people to bond with one another and establish social pecking orders.  For me, I'm more like the Goth Kids in South Park who say screw the established order...we're going our own way and if you don't like it, too bad.  I had a friend request the other day, not an uncommon occurrence but still annoying, since the overwhelming number of my Facebook "friends" are people who, although connected with me in some way, I have never even had a simple pleasant conversation with.  Yet to Facebook they are "friends".  You don't have to interact in person to have a conversation...I value those who have taken a few moments of their lives to type in a comment to one of my posts...or even hit one of "like" icons.  Anyway, this young man who friend-requested me is someone I've never met but seems to have some affiliation with the church I used to attend...or at least organized Christianity.  I checked out his posts before responding and he is heavy on both Bible verses and subscribing to far-right-wing political propaganda, including bashing in a hatefully personal way Anthony Fauci, the epidemiologist who spearheaded the fight against COVID-19 in cooperation with Presidents Trump and Biden.  Worshipping the two gods of Religion and Politics may seem for some to be totally compatible...and it's true that if you're into some of the homegrown paramilitary groups flourishing here in America, the fusion of the two into one mega-god to idolize might sound alluring.  My take is simple: restrict your automatic acceptance of things requiring faith to that faith which you have adopted, and keep a skeptical eye on the other stuff that you (and I) are being constantly deluged with in this scam-filled digital media age...

No comments:

Post a Comment