Last year Radiohead members Jonny Greenwood and Thom Yorke collaborated with other musicians to form a side project called The Smile and released the album A Light for Attracting Attention. Unlike with Regina Spektor, whose "next" album I had been waiting for since 2015, this was something unexpected. I bought the CD (along with Regina's new one titled Home, Before and After) and have it in my car, ready for play at a moment's notice. Of late, I have focused on tracks 1,2, 10 and 11 of the Smile album: The Same, The Opposite, A Hairdryer, and Waving a White Flag...yes, the titles sound a little strange, especially that third one. That's what I listen to when driving to and from work. As for what I listen to while working out at home, I turn my TV/Roku on YouTube and play an imaginary "double album" loaded with favorite songs that I think go together: here they are (think how "vinyl" LPs are structured):
RECORD ONE
Side 1
1-HELD by Spoon
2-FORTUNES by Metric
3-TIMEBOMB by Beck
4-RAINDROPS by Regina Spektor
5-WILD by Spoon
Side 2
1-THE SAME by The Smile
2-THE FACE, PT.1 by Metric
3-RABBIT HOLE by Arcade Fire
4-THE OPPOSITE by The Smile
5-LOVEOLOGY by Regina Spektor
RECORD TWO
Side 1
1-SPACETIME FAIRYTALE by Regina Spektor
2-EVEN FLOW by Pearl Jam
3-TIME TO PRETEND by MGMT
4-E BOW THE LETTER by R.E.M.
Side 2
1-TREAT by Kasabian
2-US by Regina Spektor
3-THE WRONG CHILD by R.E.M.
4-MORNING BELL by Radiohead
5-CALCULATION (THEME) by Metric
I am a creature of routine and habit...I tend to stick to the above order in my listening, go figure. I put this out here in the blogosphere just in case you, my valued reader, might already know of some these acts and their music or, perhaps might be inspired to give them a listen. In any case, I got a kick out of writing this...
No comments:
Post a Comment