There are two sorts of people in the world: Those who listen and those who are thinking about what they are going to say next. ---Paul Simon
Over the years I've generally liked Paul Simon's music...especially when he was collaborating with Art Garfunkel earlier on. Let's see, my favorite songs from them are Scarborough Fair, Fakin' It, I am a Rock, America, The Boxer and Cecilia. With Paul Simon as solo artist, I liked his Duncan and Boy in the Bubble above the rest. The above quote of his doesn't really have anything to do with music per se...it's more about folks in conversation or in small group settings. From my experiences and perspective, it all comes down to the felt expectations within the situation. Within the context of the conversations or group discussions, am I expected to be an active, talking participant? This is especially relevant in small groups where they go around a circle to focus on each person...groan, you can bet that I'm thinking of what I'm going to say before my "turn" in these scenarios instead of listening to others! With any situation, listening is a skill that must be learned. And sometimes taking a little time before one speaks his or her mind to the other can go a long way to understanding more deeply the thoughts behind what is being said. Listening empathetically doesn't mean that I agree with what you're saying, but rather that I esteem you enough to want to understand the full message and intent behind it...and also implicitly invite you to show me the same level of respect when I am talking. And sometimes, when the opportunity within a discussion does arise for me to speak, it might behoove me more to repeat and clarify what I had just heard...just to make sure I got it right...before I sound off about my own reactions...
No comments:
Post a Comment