Saturday, January 28, 2023

Looking Ahead to Upcoming Running Races in 2023

Ha-ha-ha, I had just told Melissa that I had decided to pass up on running tomorrow morning's Newnan's Lake 15K when I discovered that the dang thing was already held this morning!  No matter, more races are forthcoming, and I was recovering from a slight back strain anyway.  It all did inspire me to look on my dependable Running-in-the USA website to see what exactly was available in the upcoming months, and I thought of a nifty little goal for myself with race running. Every Saturday morning there is the free Depot Parkrun 5K...that covers almost any time I might feel like running that distance in an event...I can pick and choose whichever weeks I feel like running them (or NOT running them).  For longer races, I have decided to try and run at least one of those per month.  How can I accomplish this in 2023? First of all, the traditional Gainesville long-distance event of the Five Points marathon/half-marathon has been discontinued, so I'm happy that I was able to run the Florida Track Club's substitute race two weeks ago on 1/15...that takes care of January!  In February we have a 4.2-mile run sponsored by a local beer company on the 4th and the FTC Micanopy 10-miler on the 11th...check off this month for "mission accomplished" as well if I run one or both of them.  In mid-March, Melissa and I are on vacation and may spend some of the time out-of-state: maybe there's a possibility there. If not, on the 25th is the traditional Trail of Payne 10K that I have never run...maybe in 2023 I will.  On Saturday April 9 is the Run Your Buns Off marathon/half-marathon/10K on the same Hawthorne course, it seems, as the FTC race that I just ran.  And now we've come to May: in the Jennings State Forest to the NW of Middleburg they have a cool-sounding half-marathon trail race...intriguing.  And I discovered that off SR35 in southeastern Ocala is a monthly 10K run on Saturday mornings...bit of a drive, but it does fill in that gap nicely during the warmer late-spring-to-early-fall months should I find it a feasible venture.  I'm considering bidding at work to a different position should such an opportunity arise, preferably reporting at noon instead of 1:30 as I currently do if I can get weekends off...I think getting up early in the morning is a good habit to incorporate, plus races tend to start at that time of day on Saturday and this way I would have extra time after getting off work Fridays to sleep for the next day's race.  I'm also becoming fed up with my current specific assignment at my workplace that demands from me a careful attitude that I find lacking in other facilities that I depend on to do my job effectively...this is causing an undue amount of frustration and anxiety that I feel unjustly inflicted upon me: perhaps it's time for a change as I spend the remainder of my working days and approach retirement...

No comments:

Post a Comment