On one of his recent Mindset Mentor podcasts, personal development coach Rob Dial brought up the topic of procrastination, which apparently most of us have to deal with to varying degrees. But he claimed that habitually putting things off isn't the problem, but the symptom...so what? as far as I'm concerned, the symptom for me IS the problem. Dial stresses that I should examine the underlying fears preventing me from stepping out and doing the things I had already purposed to do...as usual, he suggests sitting down with pen and paper to work this out. He also points out that I currently am the product of myriad small habits and initiatives (or procrastination) from my past, weighted on what I did (or didn't do) in the last five years or so. And then he proposed three tips to help to get on with doing what I really want to do. First, he admonishes against "negotiating with your mind", that is, once a decision has been made about what to do, don't let yourself down and put it off...which is equivalent, after all, to not doing it. Second, finish what you start...and take it to every area of your life, even with mundane activities like cooking and then cleaning up afterwards. And finally, do more than what you said you were going to do. This always comes at the close of an activity and is a conscious decision to push it a little further...Dial suggests by about 10%. All of Rob Dial's points are well-taken and rather obvious, yet as I go through my daily walk it's easy to cop out and claim that I just don't have the time, that something else has priority over what I already know should be my priority. Good podcast, worth pursuing...let's see if I can't implement his suggestions someday...
Monday, November 28, 2022
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment