Monday, October 24, 2022

Time Off at Book Sale and Starbucks, Election Comments

Today is, for all practical purposes, the first day of my two-week vacation although, technically, it began Saturday at midnight, the "official" start of my work week. I took advantage of the free time this afternoon by going over to the Friends of the (Alachua County) Library book sale that had been going on since Saturday...it lasts through Wednesday, located in the 400 block on the east side of North Main Street here in Gainesville.  There I browsed a little and bought two math exercise books and two jigsaw puzzles, shelling out just $5.50 for the lot.  The mask and social distancing rules from earlier sales were gone, but I wore a mask anyway out of respect to others.  Now I'm sitting at my favorite Starbucks off 39th Avenue writing this.  Earlier, while walking from my parked car to the book sale site, I crossed past the elections office where they had begun early voting for the November general election.  It reminded me that I need to fill out my mail-in ballot and get it out...I wasn't sure about some of so-called "nonpartisan" races.  I had previously stopped off at my local library and on the way out picked up a copy of Gainesville's left-leaning news rag The Iguana to see who they were endorsing for the five cryptic Soil and Water Conservation Group seats.  After noting their endorsements, I then received in the mail a "conservative" piece listing all of their (presumably) Republican endorsements.  I was surprised to see some overlap between their picks and the "other" side's. Nevertheless, because of this party's deep infiltration by fascist anti-democratic elements and their general refusal to take the Covid-19 pandemic seriously, I vowed to avoid voting for ANY candidates that I believe to be Republicans.  Sorry, bros, maybe next time around I'll consider you...but only if you dump Trump, come to your senses, and get your act together...I'm actually on the conservatives' side with some issues! Well, I guess I've spent enough time here...time to swing around to Publix to pick up a couple of items...

No comments:

Post a Comment