As you probably already know if you've been regularly reading this blog, I listen to a podcast titled Mindset Mentor. On it, host Rob Dial, a 36-year-old self-help coach and entrepreneur, puts out each week four twenty-minute monologues on different topics in this field. His premise is that success in life in general and in one's specific endeavors depend heavily on whatever mindset is brought into it...and that we all can become the people we want to be...within the reasonable parameters of physics, chemistry and biology, that is. He sometimes, as would one who covers any field in a comprehensive manner over time, sounds as if he is contradicting himself...the other day's topic is a good example. Dial is a big advocate of change over time, with little habit changes snowballing over long spans into life-altering transformations. He consistently stresses that folks write down what they want to accomplish in the future in the most specific terms possible...one of Dial's explanations for people failing is that they really don't know what they're after. I agree that substantial betterment can be achieved this way...gradually over a reasonable time span. But on a podcast last week he suggested that his audience dramatically "disappear" for six months, work very, very hard on their written goals, and avoid everything else in their lives...besides the bare basics of providing for dependents. This sounds a bit over-the-top to me and doesn't resonate with other broadcasts of his...as well as sources such as James Clear's book Atomic Habits, which stresses deliberate, small-but-significant incremental directed life changes. Well, as I've written before, I don't always agree with the person I listen to, even if I derive a substantial benefit from them. I think Rob Dial was concerned about those of a younger age than myself with really bad habits or addictions, or maybe whose jobs were going nowhere and whose lives had become stagnant...I guess some "emergency" action might be called for here! But for me at least, dropping out and disappearing for six months, other than for potential future medical reasons I don't presently foresee, just isn't on the plate...maybe it would work for others according to their own circumstances, though...
Tuesday, October 25, 2022
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment