On his Mindset Mentor podcast the other day, personal development coach Rob Dial hit upon a familiar topic of his: how we talk to ourselves. Whereas in past shows he emphasized building oneself up instead of irrationally claiming to be inferior and failure-prone, this time he took a different tack, promoting the idea that folks can experience a much better existence if they would do apply just one principle to their daily lives. Instead of approaching a task or obligation with the words "I have to do this", switch to an attitude of gratitude and say, "I get to do this", while considering the blessings of being in such a situation when so many in the world are deprived. "I have to go to work" becomes "I'm grateful that I have a good job that I get to go to". "I have to drive someone somewhere" becomes "I'm grateful I get to own a good, dependable car that I get to drive around". "I have to tell someone I love something unpleasant" becomes "I am grateful to have such a wonderful soul in my life with whom I get to share my trials". "I have to clean and declutter my home" becomes "I'm grateful to get to clean this home for the space, shelter and privacy it provides". "I have to work out" becomes "I'm grateful I have a body that is healthy and mobile enough for me to get to exercise". And on and on it goes. It doesn't mean I have to be a Pollyanna and pretend problems don't exist, just to put it all in perspective and count my blessings. Sounds reasonable to me...now it's time to sign off, since I have to get to take the dog outside...
Monday, October 10, 2022
Podcaster Advocates One Special Attitude Shift
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment