Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Examining My Mail-In Ballot for General Election

The other day Melissa and I received our mail-in absentee ballots for the November general election.  There are the easily understandable partisan races, such as for US senator, US representative, governor, state cabinet seats, state representative, and Alachua County Commission.  Then comes a long list of judges that I'm somehow supposed to know whether to retain or kick their sorry superior asses out.  This is followed on the ballot by officially nonpartisan races for circuit judge, Gainesville mayor, city commission, and five "soil and water conservation" seats.  Seeing these makes me automatically wonder who the stealth Republican candidates are in our heavily Democratic city...I strongly suspect at least one of them took great pains to wipe their Facebook page clean of any past comments they might have made concerning COVID-19 policy or the 2020 Election.  On the ballot's flip side are three Florida State Constitution amendments, along with three more local referenda.  I haven't a clue what to do about the judges...seems like our judiciary has become extremely politicized and will only get worse as vacancies arise.  As for the "nonpartisan" races, I'm not voting on any of them until I can distinguish the candidates' party allegiances.  As for that flip side, I don't see the point in "changing" the Florida Constitution after a previously approved amendment to restore voting rights to felons who had completed their sentences was negated when the state legislature subsequently added the condition that they first pay an exorbitant penalty fee for their incarceration. As for my recommendations on this ballot, I have none...just my own opinions, for better or for worse.  You're entitled to your own as well...why not inform yourself and vote this time around?

No comments:

Post a Comment