Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Thinking of 9/11/01

It's been a couple of days since September 11, now 21 years separated from the horrible events that transpired that morning in New York, Washington, D.C., Pennsylvania and those four doomed passenger jets.  I watched the History Channel Sunday night...they had a couple of good documentaries of ordinary citizens recording the events as they happened.  At the time I was working overtime on the flat sorting machine at the Gainesville post office and remember going on my final break where they had the TV on.  They were showing a gaping, smoking hole in one of the World Trade Center towers...this was a little before nine Eastern Time.  When I got back to the machine I told Timothy, my coworker, who rushed to the breakroom to see for himself. He returned with the news that the second tower had likewise been hit...we knew then that it was terrorism. Subsequent events that I would have assumed to be engrained in the American consciousness unfolded, among them the call to war.  Sometimes it's hard to calmly discuss options in the immediate aftermath of such a gut-wrenching disaster like this...I remember Washington senator Patty Murray being roundly attacked by the Republicans for daring to suggest that we seek to find out what actually motivated the terrorists. But it all gave certain elements of that party a justification to push their already-held agenda of invading Iraq, throwing out dictator Saddam Hussein and effecting "regime change" even though he was not involved in the plot.  I suppose that, depending on your political orientation and cherished narratives, our reactions to 9/11 were either well thought out, stumbling, or even devious...I'm guessing that elements of all three were involved.  As for now in 2022, I think we're in a "breather" period before more atrocities ensue, sad to say.  I wonder how we'll react to the next "9/11" if and when it occurs...

No comments:

Post a Comment