Monday, September 12, 2022

Podcaster Suggests Five Kinds of Hobbies

When I saw the title of a recent podcast of Rob Dial for his Mindset Mentor program, I was under the impression that he was going to reveal five different specific hobbies I should consider pursuing to enhance my personal development.  If he had really done that, I probably would be writing this article laying out my objections to this hobby or that.  Instead, he described five different kinds of hobbies: oh, yeah, I can dig that.  Here are his suggested hobby categories:

1--Hobbies that provide an income.
2--Hobbies that enhance physical fitness.
3--Hobbies that provide a creative outlet.
4--Hobbies that increase knowledge and intelligence.
5--Hobbies that improve one's mindset.

I believe that I am already engaged in hobbies that fulfill to varying degrees #2 through #5, but I'm wondering whether I can (or want to) tweak a couple of them to meet #1 as well.  Of course, since I'm approaching retirement, the free time on the other side of that transformation should open up opportunities for all five areas.  Also, there is some overlap between them.  But for an old geezer like I'm becoming, examining hobbies like this sounds like a pretty spiffy idea.  What are your hobbies, and do they fit in the above divisions that Dial delineated?  I know there are some that don't for me, such as watching TV and listening to good music, although there could be an argument made that if done thoughtfully, they could contribute to numbers 4 and 5. And of course they provide a good amount of material for my writing, a creative outlet (see yesterday's article)...

No comments:

Post a Comment