On his Mindset Mentor podcast last Friday, personal development coach Rob Dial discussed a topic I thought pertinent: how to be your true self. I've heard of folks putting on their "church faces" on Sunday morning while presenting themselves differently at other times in the workplace, at home, or behind the wheel. And I understand that different social situations call for different standards of speech and behavior. Dial posits a different point of view, stating that each of us should be true to his or her own authentic self...and he gave a personal example. Dial likes to swear, and I don't mean using just lightweight profanity either. At the start of his podcasting, he used to refrain from cussing and said his listener numbers were low, but after he decided to speak in the highly colorful manner that he is accustomed to, they skyrocketed. And then he said that we shouldn't tailor our personal presentation for approval from others...yet his own chosen example seems to contradict this! After all, maybe Rob Dial thinks cursing in any situation he finds himself in is just him being his authentic self, while someone else "authentically" never admits defeats and always claims rigging in any contest they're in: do you know who I'm talking about? Or perhaps somebody has always had a tendency to react in a knee-jerk violent manner to any perceived provocation from others...and yet another thinks it's just acting according to who they are to depend on chemicals to alter their mental state. I could go on and on about "authentic selves" and antisocial behavior...wouldn't it be better to work to transform oneself to a higher level, authentically becoming that new person with better habits? Just saying...
Having been on Facebook a number of years as you also likely have, I've seen myriad postings along the lines of "I'm going to be this way and if you don't like it, go screw yourself", or something to that effect. How does this kind of message "push the needle forward" as Dial likes to say? As for cursing, I used to freely engage in it as a growing kid around others, but I discovered that its primary use was as a tool of verbal aggression and immature bravado and came to greatly curtail its use. So, I think that, while Dial's notion of staying consistently true to who you are is flawed in some ways, it is also worth considering and adopting...but only in line with the good habits that one wants to inculcate while working to become a better person. Sure, consistently be the same person in all circumstances...but be a "better" same person with higher standards...
No comments:
Post a Comment