Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Election Day Today for Florida Primary and Local Elections

Well, today's finally election day, that is for the primary and some local races here in Florida.  Being someone who likes to vote in person, I had nevertheless requested a mail-in ballot in 2020 during the height of Covid restrictions and have continued to receive one for each subsequent election...including this one.  So, I'm finished with voting having mailed in my ballot a few days ago, but naturally am interested in finding out about the results as they come in tonight.  If you're registered to vote in Florida, the polls are open until 7 this evening...regardless of your party or voting preferences, why not get out and exercise your civic duty?  I'd also like to know what the voter turnout is with this election, broken down by party affiliation and demographic groups.  A few months ago, they were actually praising a 13% voter turnout at a local election...that just doesn't cut it with me.  I think the biggest problem I had with this particular election is that where I live, here in Gainesville and Alachua County, the mayor, city commission and school board races are officially nonpartisan.  Still, I discerned certain candidates, by their rhetoric and endorsements, were Republicans.  I checked out the leading Republican conservative-sounding mayoral candidate and discovered that he had either hidden or wiped all of his Facebook posts before he declared his candidacy earlier this year.  That frustrated me because I wanted to know how he reacted to Covid public health mandates and recommendations as they happened, as well as whether he sided with the majority Trump wing of the party in trying to overturn the 2020 presidential election.  I've written in an earlier article that these were two big issues for me, and I suspect that this individual was trying to hide something although he's entitled to do whatever he likes in managing his social media account.  Oh well, if he ends up getting elected, I suppose at least we'll no longer be subjected to condescending political correctness lessons championed by the present occupant of that office.  In all likelihood, though, the mayor's race will end up in a runoff decided in November...

No comments:

Post a Comment