Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Looking Forward to Gator Football...Kind Of

College football season will be starting back up soon...is this something you care about? I say this having lived in Gainesville, site of the University of Florida Gators, since 1977.  As sports go, college football is interesting enough...but I don't get overwrought if UF loses a game although I usually root for them.  By the way, I'm a University of Florida alumnus.  But having said that, in spite of living for so long in the same city as my alma mater, it isn't football that has tied me to that institution over the years.  It's their incredible medical system, from Shands Hospital where both of my children were born and the Cardiovascular Hospital where I had my open-heart surgery last July to their city-wide network of offices, after-hour clinics, emergency rooms, and labs...one of which is just across the street from my workplace.  Both Melissa and I worked at Shands as well.  On the other hand, the main campus of UF seems to be an isolated city-within-a-city that I have rarely visited over the decades, except to ride my bicycle through or as part of the Five Points Half-Marathon (I've run six of them).  Now both my children work at the University of Florida in different capacities...UF has been good to my family, to say the least.  But when it comes to football...or basketball or any other sport, I'm more than a little taken aback at the fanatical, sometimes ugly following I've seen from other Gators fans.  Former football coach Dan Mullen even once suggested that UF "pack the Swamp" in the middle of the Covid pandemic, a scourge that killed a wonderful, retired married couple that I worked with for years.  Enough is enough: root for your team, but don't let yourself get carried away... 

No comments:

Post a Comment