Thursday, June 23, 2022

Special Events and Drama vs. Daily Routines

A Zen master once wrote that the practice of his philosophy was not based on mountaintop special experiences but rather in practicing and consistently adhering to daily routines.  I'm not Zen...although I did enjoy Robert Pirsig's book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance...but different creeds contain their own truths, and this individual expressed a major one.  One group of people that I studiously avoid is the special event addict...someone who thinks of everyday existence as "boring" and is continually conjuring up ways to spice things up.  That includes drama queen behavior, overt flirting that draws in other people, malicious gossip, demeaning the value of mundane assignments in the workplace ("it's easy so therefore it's worthless"), overreacting to the often-manipulated news they hear...and especially thinking that special events such as parties and social gatherings define their joy and social belonging.  Never do I see some people behaving more seriously than when they are getting the food together at a workplace party...some of these on the floor seem to spend much of their energies spewing out unnaturally loud, forced laughter across the building at something or someone, most likely the target of their ridicule.  But with these special events, they're sacred and serious: don't mess with the food!  I also think a lot of folks are deeply into this career networking trap where they have been coached to believe that their social acquaintances (including, sadly, me) are little more than nodes in their networks to achieve greater prosperity and prestige.  Get-togethers with them aren't fun at all...no, it's more like going to the dentist for a really painful procedure.  I'm realistic to know that we all need breaks from routine every now and then, myself included: nothing like a wonderful weekend on the beach with my sweet wife!  But in order for that to happen, there has to be routine in the first place...I vote for the routine, and you can get your fix with parties and high drama...

No comments:

Post a Comment