On a recent Mindset Mentor podcast, personal development coach Rob Dial explored the notion of things we have no control over, and why reacting to them as if we did is counterproductive to what we're trying to accomplish in our lives. He cited some personal examples, such as someone stealing a TV set from his office years earlier or a harrowing plane flight he was on in which one of the engines caught fire. In both situations he noted that ultimately, his control over them rested in the responses he made, giving the Victor Frankl quote about the space in time between a stimulus and response being the opportunity for personal growth, depending on the choices we make therein. For me it's important...after considering a particular situation as to its actual possibilities for change...to come to a conclusion about the elements that are beyond my powers to influence and then be at peace with it other after doing what I can do to make things better. I couldn't change the fact that significant issues were discovered about my heart back in 2012...after nine years of annual testing my physician finally, strongly recommended corrective surgery: I couldn't change the situation but decided to be at peace with it and undergo a pretty involved procedure. I see the way many people around me reacted to the recent (and still ongoing) Covid-19 pandemic as they refused to wear masks or even socially distance, some of them (including a wonderful couple I had worked with for many years) succumbing to this horrid pestilence...but other than protecting myself around them and practicing my own consideration for others by masking up, to continually browbeat others about what I perceived to be their utter callousness on the subject would not have done myself, them, or anyone else any good. I could go down a list of grievances about this issue or that and ultimately conclude that I have little to no control over them, beyond public protests (I'm skeptical about the value of that strategy) or casting my one single vote among millions. Think of the ongoing news stories about war, mass shootings, the price of gas and the upsurge of fascism...other than writing some criticisms about them and expressing my opinions to others from time to time, there is little point in me allowing them to destroy my composure and react as if everything in life is horrible. Life is wonderful and precious...let's honor it by making choices of love and encouragement in the midst of the pandemonium...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment