Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Changing Voting Registration over Crucial Issue

Yesterday I wrote here about how it's pointless to get all riled up about things I have no control over.  Politics is largely a part of this, although in a limited way I do have at least a say in things...I can write about my opinions and go vote.  And with that voting I decided to do something that to many may seem completely counterintuitive.  You see, I've come to believe over the past two years that the most crucial, immediate issue facing us right now is the danger of our country slipping into authoritarian fascist rule...previous president Donald Trump bears a great deal of responsibility for this.  I consequently had decided to avoid voting for any Republican as long as this was a viable danger...but I've been reconsidering this stance.  Although public opinion polls seem to indicate that a majority of Republican voters have gone over to the fascist side, there are many of them who are still willing to accept the results of elections when their side loses.  To this end I think it would be a waste to be registered as a Democrat and thus be barred from voting in the many Republican primary elections that will be pitting Trumpist fascists against traditionally conservative supporters of democracy.  To that extent I intend to change my party affiliation to Republican...this isn't new with me since I did it back in 1994 and remained "in" that party for eight years.  We need a viable two-party system in America where each side respects election results and rejects those who would set up dictatorships based on cult personality worship. Of course, my one vote is just a single drop in the bucket...but it is something over which I have a degree of control, though miniscule.  Not that I'm telling you or anyone else what to do...I'm no campaigner: you have to figure things out for yourself...

No comments:

Post a Comment