I don't watch Lawrence O'Donnell's opinion show on MSNBC, nor do I follow him on social media. However, for some reason I probably would rather not know, a posting of his appeared on my Facebook newsfeed page with a topic I wouldn't normally associate with him and his politically oriented output: astronomy. It revealed that sky-gazers in this month of June 2022 are getting a special treat...if they are early-risers, that is. The five planets visible to the naked eye...Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn...are strung out close to each other in the eastern predawn sky along the elliptic, in that order starting from the horizon in the constellation Taurus near the Pleiades (Mercury) and extending westward (up and to the right) in Aries (Venus), in Pisces (Mars and Jupiter, visually close together) and Aquarius (Saturn) on the far west end of the planetary spectacle. The most difficult planet to spot will most definitely be Mercury, for while it will have enough brightness to be visible, to observe it I'll have to catch it just after it rises but just before the sun...and it'll be just above the east horizon so there can't be any impediments like trees or buildings. I'm going to bravely try to get up early...totally against my current habits...and see whether I can't get a glimpse of our innermost planet: it will be down and to the left from very bright Venus. Of course, if it's cloudy or foggy I'll have to try another morning. But this planetary alignment phenomenon will be out there for most of the month. By June 24th the moon will even be a part of it...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment