#29 LET IT BE, by the Beatles, in the summer of 1970 was the final studio album released by them...although it was recorded in January of 1969 and followed by Abbey Road that summer. It is famous for the two documentary movies made from the sessions...the earlier one focused on the conflicts between the four members John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr. The track Get Back, featuring Paul and a wicked guitar riff, was released ahead of the album in 1969, becoming a major hit (and one of my favorites during that year). The song Let It Be, another of Paul's and one that I didn't care for, came out as a single in the winter of '70. Then came The Long and Winding Road along with the full album release later that year...yet another McCartney work although he strongly objected to how producer Phil Spector doctored up the track to include an orchestra and female choir. I loved The Long and Winding Road, though...and still do. The finished album contains several wonderful pieces...I remember hearing the first track, The Two of Us, featuring Paul and John in great harmony, way back then on the radio and thoroughly adoring it and its wistful spirit during a pretty gut-wrenching period in my life. John's mystical Across the Universe and George's catchy, light-hearted For You Blue were other album favorites as was the Lennon and McCartney collaboration I've Got a Feeling, Side Two's opening track. They included on this album One After 909, an old Lennon/McCartney rocker from their earlier years. Tracks that I grew to marginally like were Lennon's I Dig a Pony, Dig It, and Harrison's I Me Mine...but I never was able to make anything of Maggie Mae. I'll never forget looking at the jacket of my then-new Let It Be album...bought after the Beatles had already broken up, and reading on it the words "This is a new phase Beatles album"...whatever the hell that was supposed to mean, I don't think the person who wrote it envisioned the band dissolving so soon. Still, it was a great album for all the trouble that went into creating it...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment