Tuesday, May 24, 2022

About the Primary Results Last Tuesday

We're now thick into the 2022 election season now, albeit in the "preliminary" party primary phase.  This is when fringe candidates often snatch up nominations by attracting more fanatical voters than more traditional politicians, sometimes leaving poor choices on the November ballot.  I was interested particularly in the Pennsylvania seat of the US Senate being vacated next January by retiring Republican incumbent Pat Toomey.  Television doctor Mehmet Oz was running to replace him, with the full support of Donald Trump.  As the results started coming through that evening for last Tuesday's primary election, it became clear that it would be very close between Oz and Dave McCormick...at this writing a week later it is still undecided.  I deliberately chose to watch Newsmax and Fox News for the results for how their favored "guys" were doing in the spotlighted races. I found myself further resenting how dictator-wannabe Trump has managed to coopt conservative politics, some of which I'm in agreement with, to the point where it is little more than a personality cult where politicians compete to seen as the most loyal...not to the people they claim to want to represent...but rather to just one sorry, self-absorbed man. Pathetic. Georgia...along with Alabama and Arkansas...will be holding their primary elections today.  On the Republican side in my birth state of Georgia, football hero Herschel Walker, endorsed by Trump, is running for the U.S. Senate seat currently held by Democrat Raphael Warnock while incumbent governor Brian Kemp is facing a number of opponents in his party's primaries, including former U.S. senator David Perdue...Trump's stooge in this race. To align himself with the Orange Man after that earlier endorsement, Perdue had joined the crowd of 2020 presidential election deniers in order to curry his favor. Should be interesting to see the results from Georgia tonight: I think I'll just skip the propaganda channels, though (all of them, left or right-leaning) ...or at least mute the sound.  Better yet: skip the TV and get the results off my smartphone...

No comments:

Post a Comment