I deliberately woke up at 6 this morning, making a pot of coffee and checking to see whether I really was going to drive out to Depot Park and run one of their weekly 5K (3.1 miles) races they hold there on Saturdays at 7:30. After a few minutes of self-assessment I decided to go back to bed...and woke up a little past ten. It's a bit ironic, I think, that finally after having worked on my off day for several Saturdays in a row that on the morning of one in which I am truly off from work all day I would choose to sleep in...you might think that I'd be more inclined to stay in bed on other Saturday mornings, seeing that I get off from work Friday nights at 10 and sometimes get overtime up to midnight. But it's how the mind interprets situations, not the situations themselves, that determines one's course of action and here I am, late in the morning and that dang race has gone by me for another week. The weather was forecast to be great, in the low 50s...a Goldilocks Zone for runners like me...but I might have put too much pressure on myself for considering trying to set a personal record with today's race instead of treating it as a "cover the distance" training run as I had for the previous ones. There's another opportunity next Saturday morning for a Depot Parkrun, as they like to call it, and then looms on the 19th a ten-mile run in the wilderness south of Micanopy held by the Florida Track Club...that will most definitely be a purely "cover the distance" event...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment