Call it "Arnie's Revenge" if you like, but this year's PGA Arnold Palmer Invitational, played at the Bay Hill course near Universal Studios and Walt Disney World west of Orlando, has turned into one of the more interesting and entertaining tournaments I've watched over the past few weeks. Generally noted for scores well under par, this year it seems that the winds are playing havoc with the golfers...as well as very treacherous putting greens. I don't think I've ever witnessed so many missed short putts as well as putts shot too hard past the hole. The leaderboard has been in continual flux as the tournament draws to its close. It looked like Viktor Hovland at one point was going to run away with it, but his putting woes gave him two consecutive bogies. Then Scottie Sheffler, who won a tourney just a while back, surged into the lead, only to be passed by Gary Woodland when he eagled...but Woodland would fall back on just the next hole with a double bogey. The tournament was renamed in 2017 after Arnold Palmer, who passed away the previous year. Palmer was known for his expressive antics when he missed important putts in years gone by...I've seen quite a few grimaces and head shaking today from pros who seem completely mystified by the tricky slopes presenting by the putting greens. Yet Tiger Woods won this tournament eight times between 2000 and 2013. It's showing right now on NBC...I really don't care who wins it, but I want to see how they accomplish it. Sheffler is the only golfer among the leaders in today's final round that I know of, but I'm gradually accumulating a list in my memory of several golfers over the weeks as Sunday afternoon golf is becoming a regular TV habit of mine...
Sunday, March 6, 2022
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment