Ian Stewart is a prolific popular science writer...he's a British mathematician and has also dabbled in science fiction writing. I just finished reading his 2016 book Calculating the Cosmos, in which he goes through selected interesting topics concerning our solar system, galaxy, the universe...and their respective origins, laying out the different historical viewpoints as well as the current scientific perspective, including ongoing disputes. Like the other popular science book I just read, David Sumpter's The Ten Equations That Rule the World, Calculating the Cosmos...while generally easy to follow...does dip into some rather technical jargon that loses me for a bit until I can regain my footing. More than about math, though, this book is an excellent introduction to the fields of astronomy, astrophysics and cosmology, discussing interesting (to me) topics such as how Earth got its Moon, the various planets and their satellites, the Kuiper Belt, Oort Cloud, the nature of black holes, the big bang theory, the cosmic radiation background, dark matter and dark energy. Along the way Stewart surprised me by claiming that some of these concepts aren't necessarily established truths and that his colleagues are coming up with alternative theories to explain observations without involving them, especially dark matter and dark energy...I found that pretty provocative. And, as was the case with Sumpter's book, I intend to reread Calculating the Cosmos...nonfiction that has a lot of technical content has to be approached differently than with regular fiction. I'm also interested in checking out some of Stewart's other works...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment