Monday, January 3, 2022

Eight Things to Leave Behind for 2022, According to Podcaster Rob Dial

One of motivational coach/speaker Rob Dial's latest shows on his Mindset Mentor podcast had him listing and describing eight things to leave behind as I move into 2022: toxic relationships, negative self-talk, not following through on tasks and projects, reacting in the moment instead of taking time to breathe, people-pleasing, guilt about my past, doing things because I "should", and never asking for help with anything.  As with his other shows, I find his presentation loaded with good advice, but often with some important caveats.  As I had written in an earlier article, sure, I want to avoid those who always seem to be in a negative, critical, or manipulative frame of mind...but also recognize that perhaps me being around them could help them in their own lives as a counter-influence. It's true that I tend to take a cynical view of a lot around me, but I also tend to undersell my own abilities as well with what I tell myself.  Not finishing what I started has been a big sticking point...Dial's "hundred days" project whereby I list a small number of changes in my life that I prioritize for that period of consecutive days (click here my 12-20-21 article) is a good tool for dealing with this.  I could also work on not instantly reacting to various provocations I see around me...our "mentor" suggests setting a few moments aside when this happens and take a few deep breaths while doing a mental re-set. As for people-pleasing, since I'm already very sensitive to when others are trying to manipulate me, I tend to avoid trouble in this area.  With the irrational burden of past guilt, Dial quoted someone as follows: "The mountains you're carrying you were only meant to climb", meaning that mistakes are intended as a means to ultimately become a better person, not for self-condemnation.  I'm also somewhat immune to the guilt-mongering involved in "should" behavior: Dial puts it poignantly by saying we should stop "shoulding" all over ourselves.  And finally, that part about not asking for help is sadly a deeply ingrained part of my personality, going back as far as I can remember...even into early childhood.  So sometimes I have to pick and choose different Mindset Mentor podcasts, just as you probably have to go through some throwaway articles of mine to find something useful...hey, even my famous bands like the Beatles and Led Zeppelin have album tracks I regularly skip over.  But I respect Rob Dial's talent in verbal expression and his wisdom is usually spot-on.  I'll check in on another of his podcasts next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment