I split my TV watching this past weekend...at least the part of it that I wasn't working...between the National Football League divisional playoffs and the Australian Open tennis tournament. True, I could have been watching the Beatles inch painfully and inexorably toward their rooftop concert in the January 1969 rehearsal and recording sessions as presented in the Get Back documentary on Disney Plus...oh, I'll "get back" there in good time. And on the Pluto channel they're showing the three great old Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Then there are the old Through the Wormhole episodes that Discovery Plus is carrying. But right now my focus is sports, and tennis and football are running through my veins...
With pro football, I can't recall in the 54 years I've followed the sport a playoff weekend in which all the games were nailbiters...of the four contests, three were decided by field goals with time running out and the fourth was sent into overtime...with time running out...by yet another field goal. Sunday's games were incredible...Tampa Bay with their 24-point comeback against Los Angeles seemed to have sent the game into overtime with their game-tying score, leaving the Rams only 42 seconds in regulation. But Matthew Stafford, one of my favorite quarterbacks even when he played those many years for perennial loser Detroit, got a bomb completed to standout receiver Cooper Kupp, setting up an easy game-ending field goal. And Buffalo seemed to have sealed up a victory against Kansas City by scoring a TD with only 13 seconds remaining...but no, Patrick Mahomes engineered a brilliant time-efficient drive that set up a successful 48-yard field goal and sent the game into OT, which the Chiefs won by "defeating" the Bills in the coin toss. Although I was disappointed that the Bucs lost to the Rams, I will be pulling for LA to beat the 49ers next week, as well as for KC to handle Cincinnati...
As for the Australian Open, I've been catching bits and pieces of matches on ESPN-2...it's much different for me than with last year's U.S. Open because then I was always at home, recuperating from my heart surgery. Still, I've enjoyed the tennis I've been able to see and plan to watch more when I get off from work at night. Not that I plan to spend all my free time watching TV...I have this blog to write, after all...
No comments:
Post a Comment