Sunday, September 12, 2021

Enjoying Outdoors Starbucks after Hiatus

 

For the first time since my operation in July, I am sitting at my favorite Starbucks here in northern Gainesville...the big change from before is obvious: no indoor seating due to the COVID resurgence that took place while I was gone.  But there are plenty of outdoor seats, and I'm enjoying my decaf caffè americano.  In the decades preceding my surgery...specifically the years from 1978 to July 13, 2021...I was a heavy consumer of caffeine, chiefly through coffee.  Since then, though, I have thoroughly avoided this socially-acceptable mind-and-body-altering drug, for two reasons.  One is that I've become strongly opposed to being dependent on any chemicals to alter my mental state...the other is that the interruption from caffeine with my two-week hospital stay and subsequent home recovery has enabled me to tear away from my dependence on it.  And I intend to stay that way while continuing to avail myself of Starbucks, Dunkin' Donuts...and of course, my home coffee maker.  Sadly, it looks like at least at this Starbucks store, decaffeinated iced coffee is unavailable, but caffè americano is one of my favorites there and comes in decaf mode.  It's nice to just sit here and take in the ambiance...I didn't realize how much I had missed it!  There are about three weeks until my "official" recovery ends and I return to work...but I know that I still have more time ahead of me before I am completely back to "normal".  Yet in some ways I am already fitter than before, with much better eating habits and a corresponding weight loss...no longer overweight despite having been a runner.  Good stuff...

No comments:

Post a Comment