Monday, August 9, 2021

Watched Tokyo Olympics

When I was in the hospital for two weeks following open heart surgery, I had available a TV to watch, both when I was in the intensive care unit and when I was moved one story below to a more general room.  Once I felt capable enough, I watched a lot of the Tokyo Olympics...which were shown on NBC, NBCSports, USA Network, and CNBC.  I focused on the events for which judges did not play a dominant role in determining scores, opting instead for games and races.  Volleyball, basketball, table tennis, water polo, swimming, badminton, fencing, soccer, bicycle track racing, team handball, field hockey, softball...I enjoyed watching them all, noting that badminton looks pretty brutal when played on a high level.  I somehow missed out on many of the track and field events...in perspective this was most likely due to the fact that they were mostly held after my discharge from the hospital.  But my favorite events, which I enjoyed greatly, were the women and men's marathons...they were among the final events there.  But for the most part I skipped on the diving, gymnastics, artistic swimming, and skateboarding due to the objectivity factor of the judges.  I also thought the rock climbing competition was mesmerizing.  The Tokyo organizers minimized spectator presence due to the pernicious pandemic...understandable. For the same reason they decided not to stage awards with the winning country's national anthem...for me it was refreshing as I had long believed that the Olympics had become way too divisive with the nationalism.  Still, I admit that I would consistently root for the "home" team or contestant.  In just a few months China will be hosting the Winter Olympics...I sincerely hope I won't be back in the Krankenhaus when it takes place...

No comments:

Post a Comment