Saturday, August 21, 2021

Still Recovering Gradually at Home from Surgery

I continue to "shelter in place" as I recover from my July surgery.  On the second day after my operation all hell seemed to break loose about Covid-19, with its Delta variant spreading explosively among the unmasked and unvaccinated population.  I was informed, while lying in my ICU bed, that the visitation policy was changed and that I could name exactly two people who would be permitted to visit me in my room...any others would have to stay in the waiting area until I could be eventually wheeled out to see them.  All throughout my two-week stay in the hospital news kept growing of the disease's resurgence...the day after I was finally discharged, it was announced by UF Health that they were indefinitely postponing elective surgeries in order to ensure ICU beds for the dramatically rising Covid cases...that would no doubt have included my own surgery had it been scheduled just a little later.  And now here I am, some three weeks later, and there's no sign of abatement in the infection and death numbers.  But at least I'm getting better...but it looks like I'm back to mask-wearing in public once I am again able to venture forth into this disease-ridden world.  Because my rib cage was separated for my open heart surgery to replace a defective aortic valve and repair an aortic aneurism, my recuperation has centered around the re-fused sternum area growing back together while preventing water buildup within my chest. Also, following surgery my heart twice went into a-fib (no regular sinus heart rhythm), but a procedure called Cardioversion restored normal beating which I have maintained since.  I am looking forward to a full recovery and getting back to work. A physical therapist has been visiting twice a week and helping me, both to exercise those parts of my body that are safe to exercise, and to take it easy on those parts that are still vulnerable...my walking has dramatically improved. But I don't know what to make of this coronavirus resurgence, except for the fact that it was completely preventable if more people had simply worn a mask in public and gotten vaccinated...oh, the folly of the prideful...

No comments:

Post a Comment