THE MERV GRIFFIN SHOW is easily my favorite episode of the nineties comedy series Seinfeld...the fact that it's the ONLY one I've seen in its entirety is probably a major contributing factor. From time to time I tried tuning in to this series that everybody else seemed to be going bonkers over, but the gags and tone just didn't hit me right. Still, I like the New York urban setting and the intertwining subplots involving main characters Jerry Seinfeld, Elaine Baines, Kramer, and George Costanza. In the Merv Griffin Show episode, originally aired in 1997, Kramer has managed to get the set of the 60s/70s TV talk show into his apartment and has totally submerged himself in Merv's old host role. Meanwhile, Elaine has a very annoying, dorky coworker who is constantly sneaking up on her and putting her on worse terms with her already-obnoxious boss. George feels betrayed by the pigeons, who let him run over them ("they broke the deal!"), thereby infuriating his passenger girlfriend. And Jerry discovers the incredible old toy collection of his new love interest, scheming how to play with them behind her back (she won't let him touch them). The episode mixes all these stories perfectly, and the climactic ending...featuring animal handler Jim Fowler...is side-splitting, a truly classic moment in TV comedy. Several years ago my father was discussing how much he liked the Seinfeld series and I mentioned this particular episode as the only one I saw. "Billy", he said, "You just named probably the funniest one in the series." Should I watch some more Seinfeld to see if there are any other gems? I could...after all, the reruns are still being shown on the CW channel 10-11pm...
Sunday, July 25, 2021
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment