Animator Mike Judge's breakthrough into television fame was his MTV series Beavis and Butt-Head, which originally ran from 1993 to 1997. One of my favorite episodes from it is CITIZENS ARREST, from '97...although it would be another ten years or so before I began to follow the series. The title characters are two boys in their early teens whose ignorant notions of what is "cool" revolve around anything sexual, violent or gross...I actually knew some kids around my neighborhood and school bus stop when I was growing up who had very similar personalities (and probably still do). When Beavis and Butt-Head was first being shown on MTV I had a problem with it as that channel seemed hell-bent on indoctrinating young viewers to the values it was promoting (like they did with their numerous, tedious reality TV series), and I've always felt that the series should have been targeted at a more mature, discerning audience...kids tend to copy what they see on the screen. After all, I never saw the Three Stooges as role models either, but rather a source of comedy both for their ridiculous behavior and beliefs and at the pretentions of society around them. In Citizens Arrest, the boys are at work at Burger World when an armed robber comes into the store: of course Beavis and Butt-Head think it's all very cool. When a policeman walks in on the holdup, Butt-Head's careless reactions to the robber inadvertently save the day and the cop praises the boys for making a "citizen's arrest". The rest of the episode has them harassing customers in the name of security, including the above-pictured elderly gentleman who just pulled into the parking lot: the dialogue is side-splitting...how the two get carried away with their new "role" reminded me of the Hall Monitor episode in SpongeBob SquarePants. Beavis and Butt-Head is a series you either love or hate...I've felt both ways at different times over the years. The original series featured the two young losers sitting on their couch at home watching and analyzing various music videos during each episode. I thought that was hilarious, but the versions aired now (and on DVD) omit that section: too bad...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment