Saturday, June 12, 2021

Ran Depot Parkrun 5K This Morning for First June Race in 11 Years

Now that the Parkrun 5K held (almost) every Saturday morning at 7:30 at Gainesville's Depot Park has resumed after a long layoff due to the Covid pandemic, I thought it would now be feasible to try to get in at least one race per month...at least for the time being.  So this morning I woke up uncomfortably early (I'm more a night owl) and drove on down there.  At race time it was warm and very muggy, 76 with 90% humidity...not my favorite running conditions.  I could tell early on that I would need to slow down and every four or five minutes I took brief walking breaks...until the last of the four laps, that is, when I slogged on through to a pretty slow 33:06 time.  Still, I ran the good race as they say and look forward to trying it all again in July, most likely under even hotter and more humid conditions (groan).  The Depot Parkrun is run by volunteers...once I get a number of races in I plan to join them.  It's also free...you sign up online and get your barcodes printed out, one of which you take to the race for them to scan to record your finishing time.  The website also has race results, past and present...today they warned me there was a glitch with the barcodes and that I might be listed a couple of places from where I finished...oh well, I know what my time is anyway.  Sometimes the race will skip a week here and there because the park is used for other events...next Saturday with be the celebration of Juneteenth there, so the next Parkrun will be June 26th.  This is the first June race I've run since the Chad Reed Memorial 5K in Cross City, Florida on 6/5/10....

Click on this link for the results from today's run...looks like they sorted out that glitch I mentioned earlier...

No comments:

Post a Comment