You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. ---C.S. Lewis
C.S. Lewis (1898-1963) was a renowned British author of novels and books with Christian themes...perhaps his most famous work was the seven-volume children's series The Chronicles of Narnia, which I've read a number of times and was sadly a bit overblown in its movie adaptation. Although he died at age 64 on November 22nd, the same day as John F. Kennedy's assassination, I think this quote of Lewis has a lot of merit...in spite of the fact that I am also 64. I think the converse is true as well: you are never too young to set another goal or to dream a new dream...this principle applies throughout one's life span. Do you have goals that involve working for their attainment over a span of years into the future? At my age one might argue that doing this isn't realistic...but I recently saw on the news a woman who was a groundbreaking pilot during World War II and just turned 100, and she's still happily enjoying her life. I don't know enough about what's going to happen in my life tomorrow, much less ten or twenty years from now. But wisdom dictates that I continue involving myself in interesting and challenging endeavors that project well into that future, regardless whether I am there to completely fulfill them. Either one grows or withers away, and you grow by embracing struggle for self-betterment...C.S Lewis was obviously a wise man...
No comments:
Post a Comment