Friday, April 30, 2021

Quote of the Week...from Asha Rangappa

Facebook is primarily a mechanism for bonding, not bridging.  Studies show that in the vast majority of cases, people live in self-made echo chambers on Facebook that reinforce their existing views of the world.                                                                    ---Asha Rangappa

Asha Rangappa is an American lawyer and former FBI agent who has served as commentator on several networks and shows, most prominently CNN.  I chose her above quote because on different levels it totally resonates with what I've grown to think about Facebook over the past eight years that I have been active on it.  Originally when I signed up for my account on that social media site I had set up my profile and then pretty much stayed clear of it...until I perceived that the masses worldwide that were driving the blogging revolution in the first decade of this century had almost totally abandoned their own blogs and turned to Facebook for the sake of convenience...and for that "bonding" with folks they already knew.  So I had a choice to make: continue blogging on my own or post links to my articles on Facebook.  I chose the latter and from 2013 through 2020 I did just that while increasing over time my number of Facebook "friends".  But this site has an insidious algorithm that limits who can access my links on their newsfeed...even "friends"...and my readership wasn't really improving over time.  But since I was checking Facebook to see reactions to articles I posted, I was also observing the behavior of other users...and it's very true like Rangappa said, that people react to others' postings more as a bonding statement than to cross bridges and get to know others more and exchange ideas.  The fact that access is typically confined to a predetermined, insular community doesn't help, either.  Facebook makes it all a popularity contest with their "scores" of how many people liked a posting or commented on it.  I am glad I went through this long-term experiment with Facebook because it solidified in my mind the intransigent and socially fragile states of thinking within people at large.  As long as you're saying something they already agree with, they're okay with you, but even if that's so they have to evaluate what they perceive as your popularity level before they are willing to publicly chime in. I also have been dismayed at reading the marginally insane posts of folks that I know in real life to be rational, functioning adults: are they just assuming different personas in social media, or is the "echo chamber", bubbling-off tendency in Facebook turning their minds over to the dark side?  No, I had enough and stopped linking this blog to that site starting in 2021...interestingly, although I no longer get the sparse instant "likes" from some articles, the anonymous bean counter on my Google account shows no decline in readership, and I'm writing just as freely and happily as ever...

No comments:

Post a Comment