Friday, March 19, 2021

Quote of the Week...from Franz Kafka

A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity.                       ---Franz Kafka

Ever since I began this blog nearly 14 years ago, I have felt that writing like this has greatly helped me sort out my thoughts and feelings, sharpening those that I conclude are worthwhile while disposing of those that don't pass the test of rational examination.  Kafka was a famed early twentieth century Czech/German writer who is said to have injected surrealism and social commentary into much of his work: this was certainly true from the one book of his I've read so far: Metamorphosis.  Sometimes I observe how thoroughly deluded and irrational people express themselves on TV and in social media, and I wonder whether a daily writing habit might not help some of them learn to use better judgment when it comes to discerning truth from fantasy and displaying a more civil, sociable demeanor in what they say to others.  Along with this blog I have recently begun a daily journal...for my eyes only...to document the day-to-day happenings in my personal life and further assist me in more sanely reacting to the often invasive world that seems to come down on me from different sides.  The very act of formulating sentences and connecting trains of thought is therapeutic, and I sure that as a result my perspective on reality and society has greatly benefited, regardless whether other readers would agree or not with the words I've put down.  I found Kafka's above quote from a search I did on the excellent book review site Goodreads, which posted an excerpt from a letter he wrote to Max Brod in the 1920s...

No comments:

Post a Comment