Sunday, November 29, 2020

Newspaper Archives a Fun Portal into History

With my ability now to research old newspapers at different times in recent history, I am afforded the opportunity to investigate how different ongoing events were being reported.  I'm compiling a list of some interesting times that I'm looking into during the next few weeks:

--Sunday newspaper opinion pages just preceding each presidential election

--The summer of 1914 after Austrian Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated in Bosnia, with subsequent events leading to the outbreak of World War I.

--Stories about Japanese-American relations in the weeks before Pearl Harbor.

--The early weeks in the Korean War, 1950.

--Civil rights stories in the 1950s and 1960s.

--The American reaction to the Soviets' Sputnik launch in October 1957.

--The Cuban revolution under Castro and early events of his regime in 1959.

--The Cuban Missile Crisis of  October 1962.

--Lyndon Johnson's statements about Vietnam as president in 1964, and the Gulf of Tonkin incident.

--The Democratic Party presidential race in 1968 up to the California primary and Robert Kennedy's assassination.

--George Romney's candidacy for president in 1968 and his disastrous "brainwashing" comment.

--Stories about the breakup of the Iron Curtain in the late 1980s.

--Any articles with "experts" predicting the future.

--Retroactively politically incorrect articles deemed acceptable in the times they were published.

Well, that's just a few of what I'm looking at...besides old comic strips, advertisements, and puzzles, that is.  Since I was a history major in college, this archival exploration is pure joy for me...must have been kind of like how old Gandalf felt in Tolkien's Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring when he paid a visit to Minas Tirith's old library archives to read up about "magic rings" from the ancient past....

No comments:

Post a Comment