Monday, November 9, 2020
My #7 All-Time Favorite Song: Building a Mystery by Sarah McLachlan
Number 7 on my list of all-time favorite songs is BUILDING A MYSTERY by Sarah McLachlan. A singles hit in 1997, I grew to love it while listening in early 1998 to my local Gainesville alternative rock station, then on 97.7, and which played the song in its regular rotation back then. Besides McLachlan's extraordinarily beautiful singing, this slow-moving song speaks of a woman's love interest whose fanatical sense of independence and wonder entrances her as well...while she bluntly acknowledges his glaring faults. And aren't we all in the end deeply flawed individuals with our own special stories to tell? Aside from the universal wisdom embedded within the lyrics...with a little unnecessary profanity thrown in for good measure...I got deeply within the "mystery" angle to it as the singer's boyfriend explores the frontiers of reality and beyond. Sarah's singing to him...but she's singing to each of us as well. It's a great love song, but not of a blind, possessive love but rather a more discerning, mature kind in which both share in their mutual affection and attraction while respecting the sometimes stark differences between them. Sarah McLachlan has a couple of other songs that I liked a lot: Sweet Surrender which, like Building a Mystery, is from her excellent 1997 album Surfacing, and Fallen, from her 2003 Afterglow album. I probably should explore this wonderfully talented artist's collected works at some time in the near future...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment