Monday, October 26, 2020

My #9 All-Time Favorite Song: Landslide by Fleetwood Mac

 MY #9 ALL-TIME FAVORITE SONG: LANDSLIDE by Fleetwood Mac

Fleetwood Mac's enormously creative and talented Stevie Nicks is so closely identified with their song Landslide...from their self-titled 1975 blockbuster album and recorded right after she joined that band...that I nearly typed in her name instead of the group's.  There are different versions of this enduring piece out there, but the original track, with Lindsey Buckingham providing a brilliant guitar accompaniment, is by far my favorite.  It's one of those songs that escaped my attention when it first came out...only in the last twenty-odd years has it become one of my all-time favorites.  It's also a song that, should I ever get around to becoming proficient enough with the guitar or piano, I would put at the top of my performance repertoire list.  The lyrics are sad and philosophical about growing older and leaving behind the dependency embedded within some relationships...but the listener can fashion whatever deeper mean he or she derives from Stevie's words.  Life goes on, even if the landslide wipes out a great portion of it...you have to just get up and do the best you can with the time given to you, to paraphrase a fictional wizard's famous words.  Landslide belongs squarely on my short list of songs that have brought tears to my eyes...repeatedly, as if on cue each time I hear it...

Next week: my #8 song from my list of 500 all-time favorites...

No comments:

Post a Comment