Thursday, October 15, 2020

Constellation of the Month: Pegasus (the Winged Horse)

 


For the month of October I've selected Pegasus as my Constellation of the Month, a feature I've been doing on this blog since June.  The other night it was finally clear and dry and the stars shone bright, even in my semi-urban sky of far northern Gainesville.  Pegasus, representing the winged horse in the Perseus mythological family of autumn constellations, was practically overhead around 10:30 EDT, with its trademark "square" just east of the zenith.  In a season when the evening skies are marked by fainter constellations, at least Pegasus has its share of clearly visible second and third magnitude stars.  To discern the rough semblance of a horse you need to invert the above drawing I made...the star Enif, whose meaning from Arabic (all the brighter stars have Arabic names) is "nose", should set you right.  My main beef about Pegasus is how its hind legs are actually the constellation Andromeda, and Alpheratz, one of the "square" stars, is actually a part of that separate constellation...I tend to see Andromeda instead as part of the Great Horse.  Monday evening I showed Pegasus to Melissa and then pointed down from it eastward to a stupendously bright star...except that it wasn't a star but rather the planet Mars, considerably brighter because it is currently much, much closer than usual to Earth in the two planets' orbital cycles while in a position to reflect the Sun more fully to us.  Way back in 1964 we went through what seemed weeks of overcast evening skies in south Florida during the fall. Since that was the first year ever that I was observing stars and constellations in the night sky, as a kid just turning eight, the long delay seemed to go on forever...I wasn't all that impressed with the fall sky when I finally did get around to viewing it.  Pegasus is one of two standout October constellations, in my opinion...a year from now we'll see about the other one.  Now although the general region of the sky where Pegasus resides doesn't have bright stars, you can still look to the west where the Summer Triangle asterism of first-magnitude stars Vega, Deneb and Altair dominates that section of the sky.  And, at least now in 2020, Jupiter and Saturn are still bright in the low southwestern sky at my latitude during the early evening hours...

No comments:

Post a Comment