Saturday, August 22, 2020

Miscellany on My Day Off from Work

Today has been a welcome day for me to be off from work...physically resting at home is exactly what I need.  It's been enjoyable to watch some of the TV sports now available, and I've been observing the progress of tropical storms Laura and Marco as they approach the Gulf of Mexico, where both are expected to intensify to the level of Category One hurricanes...and hit land at about the same spot, in Louisiana if the current models hold. And the House of Representatives was holding a special session to debate and vote on funding the postal service and restricting what some regard as political interference in the organization during this presidential election season...as I've mentioned before, I need to write an article laying out my own more detailed opinions on the subject.  But mainly I've enjoyed watching sports...oh, Melissa introduced me to a series that Amazon Prime is showing about "great races"...the episode we watched featured the Pacific island nation of Fiji as the race site, with contestants on various international teams from across the world biking, hiking, swimming, rafting, climbing...you name it, they had to do it. The funny thing I noticed was that the Fijians observing these supercharged athletes in action seemed to have no problem themselves getting around and seemed fitter than the actual contestants...

Anyway, I've been watching sports today, and that includes Mexican Premier League soccer, the NBA playoffs, baseball, hockey, horse racing at Saratoga...speaking of horses yesterday they announced that the Kentucky Derby, postponed because of the pandemic to September 5th, will not be allowing live spectators after all.  And speaking of soccer, I hadn't realized that our Major League Soccer's recently completed playoffs weren't really for the 2020 championship but rather it was all only a prelude to the "real" regular season that has just begun...wow, that's a letdown. Still, I plan to continue following it as long as they keep showing entertaining matches. As for the title of this article, I don't think I've ever used the word "miscellany" before, either in speech or writing, yet I saw the word many times during my childhood: our family regularly read Life magazine and they had a page toward the back called "Miscellany" in which they would feature random topics.  Well, Miscellany is back, at least on this blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment