Sunday, August 23, 2020
Books I'm Currently Reading
Sometimes I'm careless with my reading and let myself get stuck reading several books at once: now is a prime example. I'm plowing...at a snail's pace...through James Michener's very, very long historical fiction work The Source while at the same time reading John Steinbeck's East of Eden and two nonfiction books: The Devil in the Grove: Thurgood Marshall, the Groveland Boys, and the Dawn of a New Generation by Gilbert King and The End of Everything (Astrophysically Speaking) by Katie Mack. This is on top of my science fiction short story anthology reading. Whew, I better watch it with these books and not let them get ahead of me. I do think they're all very interesting, although with Michener's novels I tend to come away from them not quite sure what really happened and what was merely a product of his fertile imagination. The Source, which I'm currently about halfway through, is probably going to take longer to finish than the other three, all of which I should be wrapping up (and later discussing) by the end of next week. Once that happens I may just stick with Michener until his book's finished, maybe adding another author that recently had an entire Jeopardy! show category devoted to himself: children's fiction writer Roald Dahl. Dahl is responsible for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and James and the Giant Peach, among several other works. Should be fun examining his books, which are a lot shorter and, well, for kids...by the way, I've never seen any of the movies derived from his writings...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment