Thursday, June 25, 2020

Sat in a Starbucks for First Time in Three Months

I recently got an email notice from Starbucks stating that if I don't use up my bonus points I've amassed from them by July, they'll start taking them away...I thought that was a bit shabby of them, to say the least.  Still, a free drink is a free drink and last Friday before work I went in the drive-through at my nearest (and favorite) Starbucks here in far-northern Gainesville to pick up a "free" iced coffee.  I'd tried a few days before to sit inside the store with my coffee like I was used to, only to be informed that the dining room was still closed and they didn't know when it would open again.  Yet Friday the barista at the window told me that they had opened the indoors area the day before and I made a mental note to try it out. So the day before yesterday I went there...again before work, around 12:30 pm, and sat down in a Starbucks with my laptop for the first time in more than three months.  The big rectangular table I like to sit at by the entrance was closed off, the cashier/pickup area separated employees from the rest of the public by extensive plexiglass, and there were confusing arrows on the floor pointing this way and that. There were about 6-7 of us customers in there...the maximum stated occupancy at this Starbucks is now 15...and the useless (to me) seats by the window were removed, along with some tables in the interior as well.  The outside seating area seemed the same as before...I would have gone out there but the sun at the time was beating down: difficult to see the computer screen like that.  I'm glad I could sit out in a Starbucks for a few minutes...gives me a sense, delusional or not, that at least in some places there's a return to normality.  Let's see whether it lasts or poofs out in a cloud of resurgent coronavirus.  By the way, speaking of that scourge, our state governor as well as our dubious president want to claim that the current spike in cases is due to more testing...but the increase in hospital visits and admissions indicate otherwise...

No comments:

Post a Comment